Saturday, May 3, 2014

Fahrenheit 451 2?


Fahrenheit 451 2?

I remember about a month ago, when I finished the amazing book "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. After reading the book, I was really amazed at Bradbury's style of writing and how my English teacher Mrs. Parkinson stressed the importance of his style to better understand the story and many more allusions and aspects within the text. 
What I really liked most about the novel, was the main synopsis of it. I talked to Mrs. Parkinson by questioning what if remnants of the old society still survived the explosions after the war. She explained that we should just assume that the old society had ended. But, that didn't convince me quite enough to accept that belief. I wish there was a second novel to this to clarify my doubt, and I am assuming that many more people have other doubts like mine concerning the ending of the book. 

This doubt I have is really convincing me to write a sequel to Fahrenheit 451. After all, I am already near to finishing "About Tennis 2" by writing the final battle scene of defeating the main antagonist and getting the kids back home. Ray Bradbury died in 2012, but he lived a really wonderful life to see real progress happening with his book.

My version of writing Fahrenheit 451 2 would be where Montag and Granger's gang eventually reach the city and they eventually get all the survivors out of the rubble. However, remnants of the old society still remain and there is an old weapons factory situated miles away from where the explosions originally hit. The remnants plan to use the power of the factory to take over the society with the belief that books are bad. They also learn about Montag and the entire book-loving network he is working for. The remnants plan to kill Montag and eventually destroy the entire book-loving network. 
The main synopsis of the story would be the main conflict between Montag, his group and the remnants, while Montag finds a disquieting link to his past family and how his ancestors turned the old society into the way it was before the explosions took place. Montag uses this knowledge for better use within this conflict.

I eventually finished "Divergent" and I have to say like "Fahrenheit 451," it ends on a cliff hanger. "Divergent" is somewhat speculative fiction at the end because it convinces readers to take a step and make "what if?" thoughts. "Fahrenheit 451" is all speculative fiction as well, but I think the beauty of speculative fiction plays its biggest role at the end, where a cliff-hanger is present. 





2 comments:

  1. I agree a sequel to Fahrenheit would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the different version of Fahrenheit 451 you came up with. It sounds like a sequel would be interesting, I also agree with you that the different writing style we have to depict in Fahrenheit 451 is great practice when it comes to reading more difficult books.

    ReplyDelete