Monday, April 21, 2014

"DIvergent" + Real Life Issue Representations

     


"Divergent" + Real Life Issue Representation

So as of now, I have finished reading 120 pages of "Divergent." And if you ask me what I personally think about the book so far, I think the book is an excellent choice for high-school readers who want some adventure to divert their thoughts a little. 

So let's get to the main point. A real life issue that I am noticing in the text is adapting to new changes in life. 
In the book, Beatrice had to go to a faction called Dauntless, and she ended up living without her family, but with other people who chose Dauntless as well. The major changes she has to go through in order to stay in this faction (and live a life, basically) involve changing her name to "Tris" and not seeing her family, learning how to fight, and at one time, learn how to use handheld weapons.

Veronica Roth uses Tris in order to enhance this issue's presence because throughout the book, Tris is shown to have a lot of reminiscing scenes about her family, and her brother Caleb. This shows how much she actually misses them, and she has to adapt to a new life with other Dauntless members (Christina, Molly, Al, Will, just a few to name out). So based on Tris's constant flashbacks, the change in her life is not easy, but it really hits on her hard, because now she is forced to do new activities that she has never done before. That's how this society runs. Get into a faction at 16 years of age or you have no life. 

If you ask me over adapting to new changes in life, I'm gonna tell you that they may seem hard for a week or two, but after a while, you start to adapt to the new change and you eventually find some amount of happiness within it. Now our society is distinctly different from the story's society, because we don't even have factions. So I can live with my own family for as long as I want, even though I still have to study hard. But where I see this issue in my life is when I started high school. I left the first week feeling wronged by some teachers and I thought I was gonna mess up here. But after 2 weeks, I eventually started to find some happiness within the high school and now, I am much more happier in high school than in middle school.





So, Veronica Roth basically uses Tris to say that adapting to dramatic, new life changes is just not easy. You can have a lot of reminiscing moments about your life before the change. But as time goes on, you eventually find some sort of adaptiveness to the change, as well as some amount of happiness in it.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you put a conclusion at the end and good summary.

    ReplyDelete