Saturday, May 17, 2014

"The Chronicle"

"The Chronicle"

I once read a really excellent article in "The Chronicle" in my ECA class the other day and I was really stirred by it. Back in January, when we had to do blizzard bags, I saw very many opinions being released about them. The title of the article in the paper is "Calamity day alternative brings more work, less play."

This article showed many different opinions over what people actually think of blizzard bag assignments on snow days. Some people say they are really well-planned, while some tend to have a little frustration over them. These opinions are really told out by the students the most, since they are the ones that are mostly affected by the policy here. 

One quote that I loved in this post that really promotes an opinion in a statistics teacher's point of view is "It's good because students are doing actual work that applies to the classes they are currently taking during the snow day. However, I think it's vague as to how much something is worth, what category it goes into, and more so students are kind of uncertain about how much effort they should put forth in the assignments. (Colleen Everett, Statistics Teacher)" 

This opinion was fully analyzed by me and I completely agree with the part where the teacher said that this policy is vague as to how much of a grade an assignment is really worth, and what category it corresponds to, so this leads to students are really uncertain over how much of actual effort they should put in the work.

I had to do blizzard bags during the winter when they first started this policy and I gotta say, I was really uncertain over how much of the grade each assignment I did corresponded to.

Teachers take grades outta blizzard bags sometimes, and so if I mess up on one single blizzard bag assignment, guess what happens? My grade hurts as well as my heart. In general, I still try to put in my effort on these assignments. I would work through each paper, I would work through each pencil, I would work through the directions. But it's still good to take the beneficial advantage of these days because what's it gonna be in the summer? School, or Play?

There can be a lot of debate going on over this topic, whether this policy is really beneficial, or just a load of extra work that some students view as junk.

I got a video to show you guys over this blizzard bag policy and here it is.







No comments:

Post a Comment