Thursday, October 17, 2013

"The River" Update + Character Prompt

"The River" Update + Character Prompt


I wish I had more time to read these days, because I find that the main reason why I seem to be going slow with this book is mainly time conflicts, and procrastination. With time conflicts, high school freshmen studies are piling up to mountain loads of work, and with procrastination, it's a long story. Some days, I seem well-determined to finish up a chapter of the book, but at other days, when I try to finish my homework up till 10 in the night, I get a little cranky and lazy (I have to admit) to crack open the book. A goal I'd wanna make to my general reading life is that I will resist procrastination and do my duty to read more often. 

Anyway, apart from those two problems that conflict with my general reading life, I have now read as of today, Chapters 1-15. The newly read parts of the book I did read are Chapters 12-15.

So now, Derek is still in his unconscious state, and he is basically in a coma. Brian is still struggling to try and help save Derek. Just when he thinks this trip is gonna be catastrophic, he opens up Derek's briefcase and finds a map. He had seen this map with his mother before leaving. As Brain observes the map, he finds the Brannock Trading Post. He thinks there would be help there in order to save Derek. 

But to get there, the only course of transportation is through a nearby river not far from where Brian was located. Over some time, he manages to craft a raft made out of logs (with some help from a group of beavers) which would help him travel to the trading post to get help. Then he decides to take Derek with him to the trading post. That proves to be a struggle. The course of the journey down the river is going to be revealed in the next few chapters. This might be a big important part of the book because the book has a separate part (that I am gonna begin later) called "The River." 

Brian, a major character within the story is comparable to another character I have seen in another book. There is a book called "Troublemaker," written by Andrew Clements. The main character in that book is named Clayton Hensley, and in the beginning of the book, he is this one absolute troublemaker. But when his older brother Mitch gets in some serious jail trouble, Clay (for short) realizes that he'd better change his mischief-making ways and start doing things that are good for his society. In "The River," Brian decided to teach the modern-day society how he survived in the wilderness, but in "Troublemaker," Clay decided to help his town after a Halloween graffiti incident, clean up all the graffiti in the town. He was really devoted to do that, and eventually, he succeeded. So basically, both Brian and Clay are alike, in a way that they want to help others like how Brian decided to teach his society about survival, and how Clay decided to clean the town's graffiti after the Halloween incident.

I real life, I can compare Brian to a person I know in real life. I don't want to tell the name of the person, but he is someone I see in school, in my orchestra class. This person always likes helping other people, like tuning instruments, supplying people with extra music if they don't have some, and this person does many other things that make the whole orchestra class successful every day. He is a really happy person who cares about others, and not just himself. Like how Brain cared about others in his own society and then he agreed to go on another journey into the wilderness to teach the people how to survive in the wilderness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment